Members of Bo'ness Community Safety Group have been left devastated after their portable cabin was gutted by fire in a blaze which is thought to have been started deliberately.
The cabin on Boundary Street, which was donated to the group in the 90s, was set alight in the early hours of Friday, October 5.
Although firefighters from Bo’ness station extinguished the flames, the building was reduced to a charred shell.
Madelene Hunt, who is chairwoman of Bo'ness Community Safety Group and is also convenor of Bo’ness Community Council, was very upset and broke the news of the blaze to s1bo’ness with “a sad heart”.
She said: “Our portable cabin was destroyed by fire at around 2am. All contents were destroyed.
“The fire was malicious and as a result the safety equipment that we lend to families who can't afford to purchase it will no longer be available.
"No more fireguards, stair gates cooker guards etc will be available for the foreseeable future.”
As well as Bo'ness Community Safety Group, the cabin was used by many other local factions, such as Friends of Kinneil, Bonnie Bo'ness, Bo'ness Means Business and Bo'ness and Blackness Neighbourhood Watch all used the building for meetings.
Madelene said: “It was used by us mainly for storing leaflets for our group and Neighbourhood Watch relating to safety matters covering driving, bogus traders, ATM crimes, housebreaking, fire-raising, litter, dog fouling, to name but a few. Also, the children's safety equipment.
“There was never any money in the premises. It would appear theft was not the motive.”
Sad times for Bo’ness groups. Were you involved with any of the community groups who used the portable cabin? Let us know here at s1bo’ness.